Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Complications in the Workplace

Welp.
That was difficult.

Minding my own business, putting my gloves on so my nails don't disintegrate away from soaking in all the gross chemicals, I try to not show that I'm listening intently to the mexicans chatter away in spanish to see how many words I can recognize.
Not many.
I got "trabajar" and "porque" and I'm pretty sure "queso" a couple times. And of course the easy ones like "telefono" and "bicicleta". They laugh and jeer, obviously making fun of something. Telling some sort of funny story.
But then Alfredo comes up to me and he's like, "Do you ever get those guys at your house? The ones on bicycles, they look all nice and...."
At that point I'm like, ohhhh no. Heavenly Father you are NOT throwing me into that kinda missionary moment....are you?
So he keeps going into this huge ranting session about Mormon missionaries and how annoying they are and how impractical it is to have such young kids out "harassing" people when they should be getting jobs and working and this and that and blah blah blah....and his facial expression was clear. He was basically waiting for me to jump in on the bashing and rant along with him.
Yeah, well see....it very well coulda been someone I know and completely respect that you're hatin' on, so uh no. I don't think it's stupid.
But you can't say that! That wouldn't help nobody.
I didn't know how to handle the situation. I didn't get all defensive and let him know the error of his sinful ways. I more just pointed out that they believe in what they're doing just as much as he believes that his Virgin Mary hanging on the door is reason enough to turn someone away. And that's his right! I got no problem with that. It saddens me that they're too stubborn and "stiffnecked" to even give boys a chance. But you can't coerce someone into listening. Which must be super frustrating for missionaries.
In any case, the part I really didn't appreciate was when he and his buddies were joking about how they want to "have some fun" with these fellows "bothering" them. I don't care who you are and who it is you're doing this to, ya simply don't take a ladle or spoon (the example Alfredo used), put a towel over it and brandish it like a hidden gun and threaten people "just for the heck of it". To scare them.
It's silly and childish and even dangerous! You really want to be that kind of person? Really?
All in all, I was the only one not laughing and I still don't understand spanish despite working with pretty much all hispanics.....
/sigh
This is gonna be a long 5 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment