Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Relative Productivity

I literally (not using the word in its incorrect, slang-ified form, but seriously), literally just sat up off the couch after almost an hour and a half of stalking Jennifer Lawrence interview youtube videos and other Hunger Games business and said to myself [aloud] [cuz I'm all alone and crazy],
"Hmmm...I should do something productive...."

Then I looked up at the dark ceiling, brushed the hair out of my face and pulled the computer back onto my lap and opened up Blogger.
CLOSE ENOUGH.

I wouldn't lie to you guys. My life is super intriguing. In the way like aliens must be baffled by how I'm actually alive and living the way I do. I have a 3-bedroom apartment? I'm married? I have (er, had?) a job that pays BUTTLOADS for me to do what I'm passionate about and um, enjoy doing? And wait, you spend free time feeling your jaw go numb staring at a computer screen but you don't move because....
Isn't that the biggest question? "WHY?"
Summer as a married adult. It's hittin' me at odd angles. But the angles are so much fun!!
Mark and I went on an adventure the last couple days. Mondays and Tuesdays are his days off work so a couple weeks ago I planned a little getaway to the -ahem- "wilderness". Meaning we took the backseat out of our GMC Jimmy and roughed it in Bulldog Canyon. For the first time in my life, we actually remembered to bring all of the essential things that were needed to complete this trip in an enjoyable fashion. Sure it woulda been nice to have camp chairs but where's the fun in that? I tell ya, it's much more fulfilling to trek up the steep side of a prickly mountain/cliff face and find a semi-large rocky boulder thing and fling it back down the hill, hoping and praying it doesn't crack in two and you have to find another chunk of earth to sit on to cook your food. And yeah, I guess "strike anywhere" matches that could actually strike would be beneficial to starting a fire. But then you wouldn't get to watch your husband try to use the truck's cigarette lighter thingy that's so old it doesn't heat up so he tries to rig a wire to get it burning but then he just blows a fuse that um, doesn't exist aka is-not-findable so now the car lights don't work. Nor would he have the opportunity to take the shovel we brought and bang it against all the rocks surrounding the firepit to try and procure enough sparks to ignite the lighter fluid he doused all the phonebook pages with. And finally! We wouldn't have had our eerie night-time drive back up out of the canyon and drive half an hour to borrow real matches and a flicky lighter from people that just happen to live out on bush highway. Which was quite invigorating, I must say.
There was absolutely NO ONE else in the canyon. It was spooky. And we also got lost trying to find where we'd set up camp when we got back. Of course we'd picked some hidden, shoved up in a forgotten well-gladed corner that is unseeable from the dirt/sand road. Why wouldn't you? I mean come on.
All kidding aside, it was the most fun I've had...this month. That's how awesome my life is. We made hot dogs and managed to heat up a can of Great Value chili in the coals without causing it to emulate every science fair volcano ever constructed. Best weiners I ever tasted, lemme just say (my good friend Allie should be snickering right about now).
And the s'mores!! Oh, they were absolutely fabulous. We bought these honey crackers that were already packaged in squares instead of rectangles so you didn't have to end up with a broken fragment of cookie that served no purpose other than leaking sticky gooey marshmallow mess everywhere. And we got the gigantic "campfire" marshmallows and HOLY MOTHER OF YUM they were amazing. Mine was gorgeous and I roasted 2 layers off the mallow before using it in the s'more.
Also I'm pretty sure we created a new family tradition (not that the tradition is necessarily "new" but it's new to OUR family) of taking good ole Jones soda on camping trips. I love being a family :) Family is the best.

Oh! and we obliterated an armchair by tossing it into the pit. Mark videoed it with his phone but I don't have access to that right now so I can't show it to you guys yet. Poo-poo.

That next morning, after we woke up at SIX IN THE BEEPING MORNING because apparently summer is the better season for the sun to be so bright so early (mumblegrumble) we just uh, -coughcough- hung out in the truck for a couple hours, ate breakfast then headed out to Saguaro Lake Ranch where we rented a couple kayaks and had a total BLAST on the river all morning. It was soo beautiful and relaxing and we had loads of fun together. We technically "launched" with a huge group but we didn't have to stay with them. So we didn't. We saw jumping fish, and swimming fish (fish in a river? WHAT?) and wild horses twice! And a heron/stork/crane I don't know which species it is exactly. Last time I went kayaking I saw the bird only once so I thought it was special. This time? 7 different sightings and not just one bird at a time. On either side of the river just chillin', or catchin fish, or leaping out of trees and startling my pants off. Which is legitimate because I wasn't wearing pants. I was wearing a swimsuit. Whatever.
We also saw these really pretty small birds that were all black except for these breathtakingly vibrant red splotches on their wings. OH! and a turtle! There was a turtle the size of Mark's face (he has a large face, mind you) snoozing on a log. No river otters though. /cry
And only a teensy bit of sunburning on both our parts! It was an extremely successful trip and gave Mark the break he needed just in time to deal with this week. He has two of his finals, one tonight and another Thursday. And tomorrow he goes in for work but he got a call today and from 8-9 he finally got another interview for a higher position with GoDaddy! It's this special program they do for employees that want to continue called the "Junior Development" and basically it's on-the-job training for 9 months but you get the inbetween salary of what you're currently paid and what the next salary would be. At the end of the 9 months if you've done well enough (I suppose, I'm not sure exactly how it works) they keep you on and you are promoted to the other job. We're so very excited and I'm confident he'll get it but prayers and well wishes would be much appreciated :)

I'm so very proud of my dear partner and the life we're making for ourselves. I couldn't be happier and I'm grateful to him for being the one to refine me and not letting me get away with being any less than I could be.

And in case anyone still has leftover curiousities and/or confusions from previous posts and people's comments, NO. We are not pregnant. No babies. For now, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment