Wednesday, March 6, 2013

And Here's Why....

I've tried really hard to get over it. Really. I want to enjoy it, but I just can't seem to get past it.
Here's why I hate Lady A's "Downtown".

The first verse is great and when it comes on I always think to myself, "this time I'll like it. This isn't so bad! They sound cute and fun!"
But then she gets to the chorus and all I get from it is, "Geez louise, I know why he doesn't take you out no more..."
Like you got anywhere better to be.
Yeah, cuz you're the only worthwhile use of his time.
I'm only counting on your cancellation when I should be counting on you at my door.
Maybe you should go to his door. I dunno.
I got a dress that'll show a little uh-uh...
Ah, good strategy. If he doesn't wanna take you out maybe he'll take your uh-uh out.
But you ain't gettin' uh-uh if you don't come pick me up.
Ultimatum's are always helpful in healthy relationships.
Show me off, you may be tired but I'm not!
Now that's just plain rude. Ever heard of the Golden Rule? Think about the last time you were tired and did something incredibly active and energy-dependent that he wanted to do. Oh, it's been awhile? Huh, I'm so surprised.
By this time I'm hitting the "oh just shut up" point and usually I've already switched to another channel.
I just don't get it.
Exactly.


It's a cute, fiesty song and I'm all for strong, empowered women asking for what they want and maybe there's some other subliminal messaging that I'm just not getting. But...the character of the song irks me. I wouldn't want to date this woman or take her anywhere other than the bus stop to send her far, far away. And by "this woman" I mean, again, the character in the song. Not Hillary Scott herself.
Anybody else have that random song that you just can't stand for no random reason?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goshhhhhh.. I am SO glad I am not the only one who is so bothered by this song! Somebody had to say it! Haha. I'm bummed because I love Lady Antebellum, and I tried SO hard to like this song because I love them so much, but I.Can't.Stand.It! And it annoys me that the radio stations try to promote it so much! I always change it immediately when it comes on. It's not even good, musically, lyrically.. It's dumb. Thanks for hating it as much as me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I thought I might get chewed out for this post, haha.

    ReplyDelete