Thursday, August 7, 2014

Max! Fetch Me My Dictionary!

I think the worst thing about getting together with people lately is the initial small-talk and inevitable, "so how's it going? What are you up to?" because literally people. My life doesn't change. It's so routine lately it's abysmal. And like, I'm not even being evasive or obtuse when I say, "oh just working," because that's all I do.

Which would be admirable if I was "working" in a career that I'd been striving for and working hard to get into, and doing, I dunno, important things but all I'm doing is answering the phone, getting the mail, and counting down the days.


And I don't even have an ice cream(ish?) treat to console me.

So posting traffic on the blog has significantly dwindled. And if you noticed and are miffed, I apologize. Forcing myself to come up with content just produces stuff like that abomination I posted last about the childhood crushes. I would take it down but now I'm quite attached to going back and looking at it m'self.

And honestly this tidbit isn't going to be much better. I'm just reading Jane Eyre again because recently I watched the 2011 film version and was left wanting. I knew there was much more substance to the tale than the film offered and felt the need to refresh my memory. Plus it's one of my all-time favorites.
My point! Is here now I give you a diminutive sampling of the vocabulary words I've begun listing in a composition notebook and looking up the definitions because #omg
  • interlocutrice: one who takes part of a conversation. (Specifically female. The male counterpart of the word is interlocutore.)
  • worsted: fine, smooth spun yarn from combed long-staple wool.
  • salubrious: healthgiving; pleasant, not run-down
  • ribald(ry): referring to sexual matters in an amusing or irreverant manner (so basically like victorian "that's what she said")
  • welkin: sky or heaven
  • anathematised: curse or condemn
and I may just adopt this into my cache of insults because it's pure poetry
  • prating prig: a self-righteously moralistic person who acts superior to those around them that talks foolishly or tediously.
Language is a beautiful thing, is it not? And yes, I am indeed journaling the big words I don't know or aren't sure on the exact meaning (as well as recording and translating the french because the copy I have gives no aid whatsoever in understanding the foreign bits) just for fun because...it's really fun.
Also, she legitimately uses "lugubrious" and I haven't stopped giggling basically.

"Coming your most lugubriousness!"

1 comment:

  1. Amen to the dumb 2011 movie.....you read my review of it right??

    ReplyDelete