Thursday, August 21, 2014

Peace an' Blessin's

Dearest, tiniest, infuriating Mor'du:

My sweet puppy, you nigh on gave me a heart attack this morning. But I know it's not your fault, we needed to keep a better eye on you and do a better job of puppy-proofing that opening under the side gate. You're a lot skinnier than we gave you credit for. It won't happen again ;)
     I'm so grateful for the sweet woman that just happened to be walking her kids to school right as you made your grand escape. It's too bad you couldn't wait the two days until you get your microchip in but I understand, the world is a big fun place you just gotta explore!
     As emotional and stressful as those five hours were, as I reflect on the morning I find my heart warmed by the handful of moments I experienced with the people of our neighborhood. One woman outside working in her garage was kind enough to spare a moment and tell me about her own love of dogs. She asked your name and how long we'd had you, and she alerted me to the punny condition of your name; "Mor'du" aka "More doo" cuz already you been plopping a nice smattering of "doo-doo's" in our yard. That made me smile at a time when I really just wanted to cry.
     There were some landscapers milling about the neighborhood and most all of them gave me encouraging smiles as they watched me taping up fliers and one even asked to see the picture of you we'd printed on it. He was very kind and promised they would all keep an eye out and we even found him wandering around the irrigation ditch looking and whistling for you.
     Another man who was trimming his bushes made sure to ask where you belonged if he happened upon you (this was before we'd made the fliers) and gave the hopeful suggestion that, you'd "probably come running once I bring my own dogs out for a walk." It felt nice to know that a complete stranger would care that much about you finding your way back home.
     I was so scared for you, Mor'du. You're so small and so young and it's so hot outside. There's so many places you could have gone. Immediately my mind was whirling and going all over the place. We passed the large storm drains and tears spilled from my eyes imagining what could've happened to you.
Heaven help me as a Mother.

After around three hours of searching and very few light poles left without a sign, I was desperate for another way of actively looking for you. I realized that Mark and I didn't have to be the only ones praying for your safe return. I posted a facebook status and kind comments quickly rolled in. We were searching the dirt field behind our house and just about to wearily head back home when my phone started ringing and my heart started thumping.
     It was the sweet woman who had picked you up that morning. She lived not even a block away from us and she had fed you, given you water, and had made up signs for you when she saw our own signs. We were walking back home when we happened to meet her on the way, holding you, and you wriggled right out of her arms when you saw us. According to you, it had been a fun, exciting morning and you made some new friends.
     She didn't even ask about the reward we put on the sign and was all smiles as we thanked her again and again.

You're a wee little rascal and my heart will be very much lightened when I can just stay home with you all day and keep a wary eye on you. So glad you're okay, buddy. You're not getting away that easy!

Very much love,
Mama and Papa

This may be overdramatic and superfluous and I can just imagine you readers snickering at how silly this 'letter' is but for Mark and me, our puppies are our children. We don't have any human offspring yet and we are very attached to our pets. Dogs will be dogs and we'll certainly look back on this and laugh (we already have) but in the moment it was very real and very emotional. It's a tough blow when you're thinking about starting a family (with real human children at that) and you can't even seem to keep track of a two month old puppy for more than 48 hours.
Again, thank you to all those who saw our message and sent good thoughts, well wishes, and prayers our way. I promise it made a difference.
Now pray that he learns to not pee on the carpet soon! Or that he'll figure out that we bought those toys so he would chew on them and not Mark's socks and shoes, or the carpet, or the couch. Or that we can somehow find a way to teach him that small, quick kisses are okay but slathering people's faces with his tongue and biting noses is nope-not-okay. Yeah, those prayers next plz.



No comments:

Post a Comment