Friday, June 9, 2017

How 'Bout Some Positivity?

I've been a bit of an Eeyore lately, which isn't to say that's a bad thing, just a fact. So I'd like to make a little Pooh Bear post in honor of my rumbly-tumbly.

Ander's second birthday is coming up at the end of this month (June 25th) and as such basically ALL of my Facebook memory posts are of my not diminutive baby bump from, obviously, two years ago. I cringe a little at my face for how apparently miserable I am and I wish that I would have enjoyed it more.
(To be fair, what exactly was there to enjoy at that point?? #canklesfordayz)
What I do NOT cringe at is the immense size of my belly. I mean, it's fairly obvious to the naked eye that I'm stretched tighter than the membrane over a conga drum, I was lucky to still be breathing on my own.


Looking at this picture, I am so incredibly grateful for modern medicine. At the time I posted this side-by-side, the vast majority of the comments were on how "low" baby was, that he'd be coming out before I knew it! To be sure, it definitely appears that way.
My doctor had a differing opinion as to baby's progression. Lol.
After this photo I had another two weeks to go before they would tell me that Ander was hanging high and dry, happy as a clam to stay put. No dilation. No effacing. He liked his coccoon and there was nothing to be done about it--except forcible removal of course.
Which we did, and it was a-okay, and you can read more about that here :)

My point however, and there is one, is that I've since formed the opinion that were I to have been born before hospitals and competent surgeons, my story would have ended as one of those women who dies in childbirth.
I have no way of knowing for sure, and I'd rather not find out, of course, but it follows common sense to assume that a 10+ pound baby, in breach position, with no dilation whatsoever would have easily resulted in mine and my baby's death.
All of this to say, modern medicine is great. I'm glad we went the way we did, and I wouldn't change a thing.

My second silver-lining-realization came from the reminder of this lovely capture of a wild pregnant Bigfoot tromping through the Arizona forests...



(this particular photo was meant to be a likening
of my belly to a great watermelon)

I just can't stop staring at that belly.
Our bodies are so incredible!
And not only that, but seeing these photos again has given me instant grace and mercy towards my current mom-bod. Like, DUH I have this weird pouch and a saggy belly button, have you SEEN what my tummy had to do??
It is inconceivable to imagine that rotund belly just snapping back into place like a rubber band. I'm surprised I'm not in worse shape!

That's about all I had to say on the matter. I didn't have accurate or eloquent enough hashtags to make it a simple Facebook share, haha. Maybe it's weird that I'm bringing this up again for seemingly no reason, but people keep asking me what I'm going to do for Ander's birthday and I'm THIS close to just throwing myself a party.

He won't know the difference anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment